Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Loneliness and Happiness

1) Discuss your opinion/reaction of the two quotes that were presented in class yesterday, "No man is an island" (John Donne) and "Hell is other people" (Jean-Paul Sartre).

2) Then, search the internet for 2 additional quotes, one that relates to LONELINESS and one that relates to HAPPINESS. You can either agree or disagree with these quotes. Write an explanation of what the quotes mean to you and how they relate to your outlook on life.


Yesterday, two different quotes were shown to me and I had mixed feelings between both of them. The first quote: "No man is an island," I fully agree with because in the big picture we are all part of mankind. what I do might effect those whom I influence such as family and friends. If there was only you then your life would be a lonely place where you will whither and die due to the lack of support from others. For example, on the minor scale, copying is a thing we have all done before. Say you were exhausted or busy doing something other than work and you neglect the work. The next day you go and ask your friends to copy. If a man was an island, then the friend would not help you and let you get an F. F for failure as if without each other we would all get an F in life. The Next quote: "Hell is other people," i mostly disagree with but in some cases it rings true. In the cases where it is true, the "Other people" are people whom are bad influences such as gang members who are malevolent or enemies in war are hell because they are bent on killing you and everything you stand for. Fortunately, those are the only instances where this quote is correct, but in general the majority of other people cannot be hell because they are just like you and they want to help themselves and you to become a better version of you. 



No one would choose a friendless existence on condition of having all the other things in the world.
Perfect happiness, I believe, was never intended by the Deity to be the lot of one of his creatures in this world; but that he has very much put in our power the nearness of our approaches to it, is what I have steadfastly believed.
THOMAS JEFFERSON, letter to John Page, Jul. 15, 1763


i agree with both of these quotes. the first I feel means that no one could have everything in the world without a friend at all. they would be lonely and have nobody to share these things with. This relates to me because as much as I want to be rich and have a everything I could ask for, i couldn't be happy without someone who I could share those things with such as friends and a wife. I would rather be unfortunate and happy then affluent and lonely. The second quote I feel means that being fully happy is impossible, but we could make ourselves become as close as possible to it. This relates to me because there will always be doubt in my mind even in the decimal percentages. The thing is that with happiness comes stress of losing it, and that as happy as we can be we could never have "Perfect Happiness."

No comments:

Post a Comment